Tag Archives: Converge

How to Consolidate vCenter External PSC with the vSphere Converge Tool

This post gives an overview of the vCenter Server converge process using the HTML5 vSphere client. The converge functionality was added to the GUI with vSphere 6.7 U2, and enables consolidation of external Platform Services Controller (PSC) into the embedded deployment model. This was previously achieved in vSphere 6.5 onwards using a CLI tool.

Following an upgrade of 4 existing vCenter Servers with external PSC nodes I log into the vSphere client. From the drop-down menu click Administration, on the left hand task pane under Deployment I select System Configuration. The starting topology is as follows:

PSC_4

You can view a VMware produced tutorial below, or the documentation here.

As the vCenter Server appliances do not need internet access I need to mount the ISO I used for the vCenter upgrade, see here for more information. This step is not required if internet connectivity exists.

For each vCenter Server with external PSC I select Converge to Embedded.

PSC_1

Next I confirm the Single Sign-On (SSO) details and click Converge.

PSC_3

If I am logged into the vCenter Server being converged I will be kicked out while services are restarted.

PSC_5

Alternatively if I am logged into another vCenter Server in linked mode I can monitor progress.

PSC_6

Once all 4 vCenter Servers have been converged I check that each of the vCenter Servers is using the embedded PSC, SSH to the vCenter appliance in shell run:

/usr/lib/vmware-vmafd/bin/vmafd-cli get-ls-location --server-name localhost

The command should return the vCenter Server for the lookup service, and not the external PSC node. Once you are happy there are no outstanding connection to the external PSC nodes remove them by selecting them individually and clicking Decommission PSC.

PSC_7PSC_8

With the converge process now complete and the PSC nodes decommissioned, the topology is as desired with all vCenter Servers running embedded PSC.

PSC_9

At this point I needed to re-register any external appliances (such as NSX Manager) or third party services that are pointing at the lookup service URL, or referencing the old external PSC node. I also cleaned up DNS as part of the decommission process.

msp-banner-sample-5